London Landmarks Half Marathon training Week 3

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my last training update. I’m feeling a lot better now, not 100 per cent but well enough to function as a hydrologist.collage 7After failing to complete any training runs last week, I briefly considered repeating the second week of my half marathon training plan. I decided not to because week three didn’t look too challenging. So, week three – the first ‘building’ week – suggested that I completed an easy half hour jog on Monday, a steady 50 minute run on Thursday, a 20/25 minute speed session on Friday, and a longer 70-75 minute run at a comfortable pace on Sunday.

So how did I get on during the third week of my London Landmarks Half Marathon training? Did my cough and cold clear up? Did I manage to complete any training runs?

Monday – 30 mins easy jog Rest

I’d originally booked Monday off as flexi-leave and was looking forward to a longer weekend. I had every intention of completing a couple of job applications, some housework and generally having a productive day. My flexi-leave unfortunately became sick leave and I spent most of the day in bed.

Tuesday – Rest

I’m aware I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but after spending most of the night and early morning coughing for Great Britain, I contacted my line manager to say I wasn’t feeling well enough to return to work. I had no energy and felt and looked terrible. After spending most of the day building up the energy to complete some slightly overdue adulting tasks, I packed my bags – leaving my trainers behind in Four Oaks was a little upsetting – and started the journey back to Wallingford. I only made it as far as the bottom of my road before I felt so dizzy I decided to head back home. That night, my cough made sure that I didn’t get much sleep.

Wednesday – Rest

Knowing that I had to travel back to Wallingford in the afternoon seemed to trigger some sort of random relapse. One minute I felt okay, the next minute I felt terrible. For a couple of hours I had a tiny insight into how Geoff felt last year. Geoff never complained about this throat, not even after his radiation therapy when he couldn’t swallow. I guess I need to be more like Geoff, I definitely wish I had his positive attitude and hydrology brain. I left Four Oaks in the afternoon and arrived back in Wallingford far too many hours later. I dumped my bags in my room and then finalised the details of my new accommodation. After spending a year living in a noisy shared house, I can’t wait to move out tomorrow.

Thursday – 50 mins steady Rest

Thanks to my laziness and excessive use of the snooze button, I managed to avoid walking into the office in a mini snowstorm. Although my colleagues were a little surprised to see me, it felt great to be back in the office. Following a reasonably productive day, one of my colleagues very kindly gave me a lift back to my shared house. I got into my room and managed an impressive power nap. I was unfortunately kept awake until gone midnight – even my earplugs failed to block out the noise – by the two people who have moved into the room next to me. I can’t wait to move out!

Friday – 20-25 mins fast Rest

The walk into the office was a tad on the chilly side, and by the time I reached the office my cough had made an unwelcome return. It’s a good job the office was virtually empty, as at one stage I was actually irritating myself. After what felt like the shortest working week ever – I guess I was only in the office for a couple of days – I started the journey back home and ordered myself a takeaway from my favourite Chinese restaurant as a treat. At one stage I felt so much better I briefly considered heading out on a run. The ten minute walk back from the station made me realise running in the cold air wasn’t an option.

Saturday – Rest

Although I felt like pants and had very little energy, I managed to have a reasonably productive day. I think the highlight of my Saturday was watching Wolves beat Leicester City. I had originally planned on heading to the National Running Show at the NEC, but decided to be sensible and stopped at home. Much as I wanted to attend the show, I didn’t feel well enough to spend several hours in a crowded giant expo. When I saw that the local trains weren’t running due to some escaped animals, I knew that I’d made the right decision.

Hopefully the National Running Show will return to the NEC next year. It will be a case of third time lucky.

Sunday – 70-75 mins comfortable Rest

Another day another missed long slow training run! Just vacuuming the house left me feeling shattered so I know I made the right decision. With every missed training run, I can feel my fitness levels disappearing. I definitely can’t imagine running a half marathon in March. So that’s the third week of my London Landmarks Half Marathon not completed. I’m trying not to worry about missing loads of training runs but it’s getting difficult. I keep telling myself that having a virus is a million times better than being injured.

In theory, week four of my half marathon training plan contains four training runs. After missing two weeks of training I suspect that the reality may be a little different. To be honest, I’d be happy just to run once. I’ve got to complete a steady 45 minute run tomorrow, an hour long easy run on Wednesday, a steady 45 minute run on Friday and a longer 80 minute run at a comfortable pace on Sunday.

Training totals

  •  Runs: 3
  • Time: 1 hour 55 mins
  • Distance: 10.83 miles


  •  Right knee: 1/10
  • Left foot: 1/10
  • Right foot: 1/10

Did you go to the National Running Show? I’m not sure I would have headed to the NEC even if I had been feeling better. I looked at the list of exhibitors and wasn’t that impressed.

Have you ever missed a couple of weeks of training? I’m starting to feel a little bit concerned about my lack of running.    


8 thoughts on “London Landmarks Half Marathon training Week 3

  1. Dorothea says:

    Good luck on the move! And no, I’ve never missed a significant amount of time for training…except when I broke my toe a few weeks in and wanted to still race 8 weeks later…but as long as you’re running a few times a week, you should be able to run the race…just maybe not PR


    • Emma says:

      Thanks D. I’ve packed all my junk; now it’s just a matter of dragging my case 500m down the road. Once two people moved into the room next to me it was game over, I had to move somewhere better. I’m no longer aiming for a PR, just to get round the half marathon in one piece and to enjoy some of the more scenic parts of London.

      Liked by 1 person

  2. AnnaTheApple says:

    I didn’t go to the Running Show this year. I heard it was a lot better than last year but it’s still basically a giant expo… not sure I’m that keen!
    Hope you’re feeling better – take the time to recover and don’t stress. You’re a solid runner.


    • Emma says:

      I’ve seen quite a few negative reviews; mainly about the cost of parking, lack of big brands and layout of the show. The thought of a giant expo doesn’t really tempt me, I escaped the London Marathon Expo as quickly as I could last time. I’m feeling a bit better thanks, I’m reasonably confident I’ll be able to run at some point this week. I hope you’re back running soon x


  3. Maria @ Maria Runs says:

    Hope the move goes well.
    Recovering is more important right now so just take the time to rest and you’ll get back into it once you are better.
    The Running show doesn’t really appeal- I imagine it being crowded and busy and stressful.


    • Emma says:

      Thanks Maria, the move went really well, I think I definitely made the right decision. I *think* my cough has virtually cleared-up; I’m planning on seeing what happens during a run tomorrow. Although I’ve already got free tickets for next year, unless the Running Show attracts more brands, I’m not going to travel to the NEC next year. Hopefully it will improve each year.


  4. Natalie_CTR says:

    I went to the Running Show (had free tickets) and had a good time. We pre-booked car parking at a nearby hotel so it wasn’t as expensive. I met Jo Pavey and had my picture taken with her and her autograph for my collection – just need to get a photo printed of her now to join my wall with Mo Farah and Paula Radcliffe! Some of the talks were inspiring and educational. My fiance got a good deal on a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (strange looking things) so he ended up spending more than I did, and he isn’t much of a runner! Got a few small freebies and it was a decent way to spend a few hours in the morning. I’ve already got free tickets for next year’s event.


    • Emma says:

      Hi Natalie, it’s good to hear some positive feedback about the National Running Show. I’ve already got free tickets for next year so hopefully there will be a few more brands. I think my issue is that I’ve been running for such a long time I’ve already met people like Paula Radcliffe and Jo Pavey


Leave a Reply to Emma Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.