Hi there! Thank you for visiting The PhD Runner, and welcome to my personal blog. Grab yourself a cup of tea, coffee or a glass of something stronger (I don’t mind), take a seat and relax.
My name is Emma (aka The PhD Runner), and this is my personal running blog. I share my adventures (and misadventures) as a mediocre and slightly injury-prone runner. Most runners get faster, I’m getting slower. I was born and grew up in Birmingham and am incredibly proud of the ‘Second City’.
My passions are hydrology (rivers), running, classical music, travelling, running and maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Please join me on my journey as I challenge myself and push myself out of my comfort zone. Although I’ve been running for more than 25 years, I’ve spent a lot of time sitting on the injury bench. After recovering from a metatarsal stress fracture, I’m now slowly but surely building up the miles. I’ve finally learnt how to be patient!
Blog posts are a mixture of race reports, product recommendations and reviews, random musings about my training and progression, rants and raves and hints and tips for new runners. I aim to update my blog 2-3 times a week.
Likes: Diet Coke, tea, chocolate, G&T, running, travelling, classical music, yoga, positive people, disclosure in blogs, laughing, cooking, twitter, rivers, tennis and the countryside.
Dislikes: Coffee, peanut butter, porridge, the expression’wanna’, uneven pavements, running injuries, hills, having my photograph taken, unreliable people, rudeness.
Although I am more than happy to collaborate with most brands, I will only accept items that I feel fit my blog.
Please note that whenever I produce a product review for a brand I will always state that the post is a sponsored post. In addition, I will always highlight whether I was provided a product or race entry for free in return for a blog post.
For examples of my most recent collaborations with brands, please take a look at the following review posts:
- Deep Heat – Deep Heat Muscle Massage Roll-on lotion review (review of Deep Heat Muscle Massage Roll-on lotion)
- Spark and Gusto – Spark and Gusto subscription box review (review of a typical Spark and Gusto subscription box)
- Red Kooga – Red Kooga Natural Energy Release review (review of Red Kooga Natural Energy Release tablets)
- Voucherbox – The cost of becoming an Olympian (a short feature outlining the cost of becoming an Olympic athlete in a range of sports)
- FLEXISEQ Active – FLEXISEQ Active review (review of FLEXISEQ Active joint lubrication gel)
- CEP Sports UK – CEP Ortho Plantar Fasciitis sleeve review (review of CEP Ortho Plantar Fasciitis sleeves)
- SOLE – SOLE Active Medium Footbed review (review of SOLE Active Medium footbeds)
- Brodie Skin Care – Brodie Skin Care Recovery Phase Rehydration Cream review (review of Brodie Skin Care Recovery Phase Rehydration Cream)
- Halfords – Beginner’s Guide to Mountain Biking with Halfords
- OmegaBrite – OmegaBrite premium Omega-3 supplement review (review of OmegaBrite Omega-3 supplements)
I also love reading and have published a few book reviews:
- Pilates for Running by Harri Angell
- Running Science by John Brewer
- Fast Fuel: Food for Running Success by Renee McGregor
Please Get in Touch!
Please feel free to contact me to discuss how we could work together by email eneachell [at] hotmail [dot] com or via the ‘Contact Me’ page.
I am currently based between Wallingford, Oxfordshire and Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham.
I spend far too much time on twitter @thephdrunner please feel free to follow me.
Although I love talking about running, I also love writing about running!