Rants and raves #27

**Disclaimer: I’m writing this post as my extra long weekend is coming to an end. I really don’t want to start the long journey back down to Wallingford later this afternoon. As always, all rants and raves and moans and groans represent my own views. Other, less negative and far superior running and fitness blogs are available**

Rave: Skid Row Marathon

Last Wednesday, I headed to the Corn Exchange cinema in Wallingford to watch Skid Row Marathon. I met up with some other members of the Run Wallingford group, treated myself to a bottle of Crabbie’s and settled down to watch the film.Wallingford Corn Exchange

I don’t want to give too much away, but if you get the opportunity please, please go and watch Skid Row Marathon. I was in tears before it even started. The actions of Judge Craig Mitchell definitely left me with a lot to think about. You may even spot another running blogger *waves*

Here’s the link to the official trailer and to the amazing poem that accompanied the film called ‘I Run On’ written by Molly Case.

Rant: My Garmin 235

Earlier this year I treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 235. My old second-hand Garmin Forerunner 220 was over three years old and I wanted a slightly more ‘blingy’ Garmin.

Garmin 235

At the moment, I’m not very impressed with the Garmin 235. The battery life is useless, it takes over five minutes to pick up satellites, the wrist-based heart rate monitor is not even remotely accurate and the watch itself feels incredibly fragile and flimsy. I suspect that I’ll be treating myself to another running watch sooner rather than later.

At least the charging lead is machine washable…

Rave: Running

I’m really, really enjoying being able to run at the moment. As I don’t want to spend more time on the injury bench, I’m trying to be sensible and have been closely monitoring my niggles. I’ve been avoiding running down steep hills and have been careful not to increase my mileage too quickly.

My right knee still twinges occasionally when I walk to and from work. I don’t understand why as it doesn’t hurt when I’m running… Slightly strange! My left foot where I had a stress fracture a few years also feels a little ‘strange’

Although I’ve had some great runs recently and nothing beats running outside after a rubbish day in the office, not all of my runs in Wallingford have been enjoyable.

Rant: Hecklers

The first few months of running in Wallingford were both heckle and incident free. Unfortunately, last week I was heckled four times during a single five mile run around Wallingford. Most of the heckles were pathetic and rather unimaginative. I mean, shouting “Get those long bloody legs moving faster” from a car window was pretty tame.

The final heckle, however, was totally unacceptable, particularly coming from another female. I was so angry at being called a “fat bitch” I actually stopped running and stood in complete silence in front of the heckler. The heckler clearly didn’t think I’d be brave enough to actually stop running and walked away from me.

And I thought Wallingford was mean to be a posh town…

Rave: My Brooks trainers

I was a little surprised when Strava alerted me to the fact I’d completed over 400 miles in my current pair of Brooks trainers. My current trainers are still incredibly comfortable and I don’t think they need replacing. However, I’m an incredibly injury-prone runner…

The Strava alert left me with a bit of a dilemma; should I risk continuing to run in my current pair of Brooks or should I crack open a replacement pair? I’ve decided to replace my current pair at the end of the month.Running shoes

[Source]

I’ve just got to work out how to remove my SOLE inserts, they appear to be virtually impossible to remove.

Rant: Manspreading

Anyone who follows me on twitter will be aware that I like to have a good train-related rant. My number one pet hate is manspreading. For those people fortunate enough not to have experienced manspreading, here’s a definition:Manspreading

[Source]

I’m already dreading travelling back to Oxford later today. I can more or less guarantee that thanks to the layout of the seats on the Oxford train, I’ll find myself squashed into the corner of my window seat by either a manspreader or a womanspreader (they do most definitely exist).

Rave: Portable alcohol

I’m aware that drinking cans of pre mixed spirits on the train probably makes me look like I’m desperate for a drink. I’ve reached the stage I don’t care because it’s such an effective way of winding down on a Friday afternoon.Train booze

Opening a can also helps me deal with manspreaders, train delays, noisy passengers, smelly passengers and other train related irritations. Not driving home from Wallingford has some benefits.

Once again, if you’ve managed to reach the end of my latest random selection of rants and raves, thank-you. I’m aware that I said this last time, but I’m hopeful that my next rants and raves post will be slightly more positive.

Did you watch Skid Row Marathon? If you did, what did you think?

Have you ever found a running related purchase incredibly disappointing? I’m seriously considering returning my Garmin Forerunner 235.

What do you do with your old trainers? I’m a bit of a hoarder and tend to keep hold of my old trainers.

9 thoughts on “Rants and raves #27

1. matttbod says:

Well this cheered me up this morning! I’ve heard a few people moan about the garmin and getting gps signal. Never had issues with tomtom if that helps!

Portable alcohol is a necessity for summer!

Thanks Matt, I’m pleased my random rants and raves cheered you up. My Garmin was useless last night and failed to record the first half mile of my run. If it doesn’t improve it’s getting replaced. I’ll have to investigate tomtom. I could have done with some portable alcohol in the office today. At least it’s Friday tomorrow.

2. John says:

Lots of fun in this post! (Manspreading–ha!) I once bought a generic Camel back for my long runs. The water sloshed around, got hot, and tasted like the plastic tube. Also, the pack made my back sweat… I threw it down around mile 6 or 7 and drove back later to pick it up. I use my old running shoes to mow the grass in and then finally throw them away.

Thanks John. I like to keep my rants and raves blogs lighthearted. I’ve got a confession to make…I won an Ultimate Direction hydration vest in a competition a couple of years ago. After a water sloshing and mid-run leaking incident with a different hydration vest, it’s still lying unloved in my attic. Yes, I know I’m ungrateful and other runners would have used it by now. Perhaps I should donate it to someone. My old running shoes become walking shoes and then gardening shoes and then get dumped up in the attic. Out of sight and all that!

I LOVED the Skid Row Marathon film. SO SO good.
    I’d return the watch. It’s a fundamental part of your running. It’s gotta work for you. They’re expensive things so you might as well get what you want for the money.
    There are some runing shops where we can drop our old trainers but I tend to keep them until I can be bothered to go!

I’d love to watch it again, hopefully it gets released on DVD or online somewhere. I was chatting about the film last night, a couple of people enjoyed the trailer more than the actual film. I enjoyed both.
      Yeah, I’m not happy with my Garmin and will return it if it doesn’t start to behave itself. It failed to record the first half mile of my training run last night, an epic fail.
      I’m such a hoarder I was gutted when I discovered mum had thrown out some of my really old running gear. She threw out my county vest!

Glad you enjoyed Skid Row- there’s a 99% invisible poscast about it which was really interesting too.
    What on earth is the deal with the hecklers? There’s just no need- some people sadly are just idiots.
    I have that watch and I really like it, although the app is terrible so the bluetooth doesn’t always connect to my phone. If it doesn’t work for you, you should return it though as otherwise it will just clutter up and be a waste of money.

Yep, I really enjoyed it and want to see it again. Hopefully it will be released on DVD or online somewhere. I’m just thankful that the tiny cinema in Wallingford decided to screen it.
      I’ve now got a whole range of potential responses to any future hecklers. There really is no need and the comments I received would definitely put some people off running outside.
      I’ve noticed that the bluetooth connection is a little erratic. I don’t leave bluetooth enabled on my phone so that probably doesn’t help. I’ve had to unlink and then add my Garmin to the app a few times. I’m giving the Garmin another month, if it doesn’t improve it will be sent back to Amazon.