A rejection, an interview and the start of half marathon training

I hope that everyone had a great weekend. I had a quiet but productive weekend of housework, drinking, cooking, studying, eating and interview prep. I also managed to watch some athletics and England lose a couple of cricket matches.

I’ll be completely honest with you; parts of last week were rubbish. On Tuesday I received a rejection for the hydrology job I’d applied for a second time. The moment I spotted the automated email, I knew my application hadn’t been successful.

Thank you for your application to the Technical Specialist position.

I regret to inform you that having carefully reviewed your details, we will not be taking your application any further on this occasion.”

I read the rejection email, cried for a few minutes and then started to feel angry. I then pulled myself together and emailed a polite request for feedback. Although I know that I couldn’t have improved my application and have all the required skills and experience, it will be helpful to know why I was rejected, twice.

Later on the same day I received an email inviting me to an interview later this week. Rather ironic considering I didn’t think I’d get an interview in a million years.

So far my interview prep has comprised of the basics such as researching the company, its operating area and the main pressures on present and future resources. It’s also involved me trying on several pairs of smart trousers, failing to squeeze my fat bum into any of my smart trousers and subsequently having to buy a new pair of smart trousers.

Please let the new trousers arrive before Wednesday!

gbr-large2x

My 16-week half marathon training plan started today. Earlier this morning I managed to complete a not exactly challenging 10 minute run. Preparing for the run took a lot longer than the actual run itself. At least my right foot felt reasonably niggle-free before, during and after the run.

I’m debating writing weekly training updates like I did last year. I know that some people find reading training updates boring. Personally, I find reading about other people’s training both interesting and helpful. I suspect that having the option of looking back on what I did 12 months ago will be quite beneficial.

I’d better stop waffling and get back to my interview preparation.

Did you have a good weekend? Although I enjoyed the short heat wave, being able to sleep again at night is brilliant.

Do you find weekly training update blog posts boring? Please be honest, I won’t be offended if you say yes!

13 thoughts on “A rejection, an interview and the start of half marathon training

1. cat h bradley says:

I like training updates. Sure they are not the most captivating to read, but I find them helpful, they usually remind me of things to look for in my own training or make me more compassionate towards myself as I remember that everyone has ups and downs.

Thanks Cath. I agree that although they are not the most captivating to read, they are helpful. I read through all of my training updates from last year and found it really helpful. I had far more injury issues last year than I remembered. Hopefully there will be more ups than downs!

I don’t mind weekly training updates 🙂 if you want to write them that is! Glad to hear it’s started well. I’m doing the Great Newham Run on Sunday but it’s only a 10k (*shudders*).
    Sorry about the interview 😦 but hopefully the other one will go OK!

Thanks Anna. Although my training started well, I never thought that a 10 minute run would leave me with DOMS! Good luck with the Great Newham Run on Sunday, although 10ks are evil, getting to run in the Olympic Stadium is a massive bonus. I’ve got everything crossed I don’t make a complete idiot out of myself on Thursday!

3. swosei12blog says:

I like reading other people training updates, because it gives me some ideas (and much needed inspiration) for my training plans.

I totally understand how you feel with job rejection. After receiving my Ph.D., job rejection was really tough because I felt like I was top dog after earning a very specialized degree. Over time, it becomes easier to bear the news of rejection. Hopefully, the company will provide you some feedback so you can be a stronger applicant for another position. Just do not give up.

I’m quite relieved I’m not the only person who enjoys reading other peoples training updates. Like you, I get inspiration from them (and the occasional kick up the bum!).

I definitely don’t feel like top dog after receiving my PhD. I’m just fed up with not having enough experience to land a role in academia and being perceived by people outside of academia as having too many qualifications. I didn’t get one job because the lady who interviewed me was concerned I’d use the job as a stepping stone and look for promotion after 6 months.

• swosei12blog says:

You hit is on the head with the Ph.D thing. I do not know in what field you completed your doctorate (I received mine in Molecular Oncology & Immunology) but I constantly get the “over educated” but “under qualified” critique.

What’s the big deal about receiving a promotion if you earned it by significantly contributing to a company? I have heard this through the grapevine that unless a hiring manager (non-academic positions) does not have a doctorate (or another advanced degree MBA, MD, or JD) he/she is less likely to hire someone with a Ph.D. Essentially, you will be more competitive than that person and may be able to move up the ladder. I have heard stories of doctorates removing their Ph.D. from their resumes and LinkedIn profiles when applying for none academic roles.

To reiterate what I mentioned in my previous comment, do not give up with your job search (I’m in the same boat as you). I’m sure something will come up soon. GOOD LUCK!!! It’s rough out there.

Thanks Maria. I’m not sure my training started that well, I was doing a wonderful beetroot impression after my 10 minute run. At least my foot seems to be coping at the moment.

4. Helen says:

I really enjoyed your training updates last year. It feels real to me and I can relate to it, I remember cringing with you when you had niggles and cheering when you had good runs.

Good luck for the interview!

Thanks Helen! I’m hope you’re feeling better. Although I’d like to avoid making you cringe this year, I suspect I’m going to be dealing with niggles throughout the 16 weeks.