Juneathon Day 24: the one with some technical hydrological conundrums

Good morning. When this blog is published, weather permitting I’ll be working from the Reading office. I’ve got a CIWEM meeting this evening in the Reading office, so I decided to spend the day working with some of my hydrology colleagues. If I get stuck in Reading for whatever reason, Wallingford is only a short bus journey away 😉

So, how did Day 24 – I’m so pleased that the end is in sight – of Juneathon go? Did I have a productive day in the office? Did I find somewhere to sit? Did my new travel pass work? Did the trains behave?

I’m not sure if I went to bed too early, but I woke well before my alarm. I’ve no idea what woke me up, but I struggled to get back to sleep. I think I was in autopilot during the walk to the train station and journey into Birmingham New Street. I got to the barriers and was relieved when my swift card – Birmingham’s answer to an Oyster card – let me through. The train to Solihull was running on time and I reached the office an hour after leaving my local train station.

The morning was quite technically demanding. I spent an hour working my way through some rather vague setting up work phone instructions. Only I could end up with a work phone exactly the same colour and model as my personal phone. I’m pretty much guaranteed to get the two mixed up. I also did my best to answer some quite technical hydrology conundrums. I have a feeling this new job may be slightly too technical for me, I’ll have to see how I get on.

Shortly after midday, I headed down to the canteen and grabbed myself a sandwich. As I didn’t recognise anyone I decided to do something that would have been frowned upon in my old office; I ate my lunch at my desk. I made sure that I had a break from work and spent some time catching up on the news and cricket.

The great thing about getting in so early is that after lunch it feels like it’s more or less time to head home.

I got home after a slightly warmer than anticipated walk, made myself a cup of tea, turned on my computer and finished packing my FleaBay sales. I made sure that I walked to the Post Office before I sat down and chilled out. Parcels dropped off, I grabbed myself something to eat from Local Sainsbob’s. I got home and had a quick nap.

Nap complete, I cooked and ate the potato skins I’d bought in Sainsbob’s. Not the healthiest of meal options, but slightly better than another takeaway, watched Casualty and remembered to do the washing up #adultingwin

By the time I’d tracked down some references to add to my will-it-ever-be-finished manuscript and written this masterpiece, it was time for a shower and then bed. I can’t help but think I should be doing more with my evenings. Perhaps I should ban weekday TV or something?

Random Photos from Day 24

I didn’t take any photos #bloggingfail so here’s a sneak preview of some of the content in my next rants and raves post.



Can you tell I’ve already had enough of hot desking!

Best thing spotted on the Internet on Day 24

This tweet made me instantly want an ice lolly. I clearly need to work on the balance between quality food and treats.

At the moment I’ve nailed the treats. Perhaps I should do a ‘What Emma eats in a day’ blog.

Cumulative Juneathon Distance: 19.07 km


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.