Rants and raves #12

**Disclaimer: Sadly, I no longer feel like a runner. Now that the weather has improved and the evenings have started to get lighter, I’ve realised just how much I miss running. As always, all rants, raves and opinions represent my own views. Other (far superior) less opinionated and negative running blogs are available**

I hope that everyone had a great Easter weekend. Although the weather was slightly rubbish in Sutton Coldfield, I still managed to fit in a couple of decent walks.

Unfortunately, I was informed that I’m too old for Easter eggs 😦

Rave: My right heel

Now I don’t want to curse myself *touches wood* but I think that my right heel is finally starting to get better. Hopefully all of the icing, stretching and resting is making a difference. I can’t wait to put on my running gear again, it’s been a while.

Ready to run

Walking is still quite challenging first thing in the morning, but there has been a definite improvement since I last blogged. I’m definitely at the ‘testing it out on a short run’ stage.

Rant: Job hunting

A couple of months ago I spotted an amazing job opportunity. I had all of the qualifications and experience required so decided to apply. I completed the most complicated online application form I’ve ever seen, and spent ages writing and re-writing answers to five technical competency questions. I submitted my application and started the waiting game.

A month after submitting my application I received the dreaded ‘I regret to inform you…’ email. I was gutted as while I knew there would be a lot of internal competition for the job, I honestly thought that my experience would have at least got me an interview. I asked for feedback on my application but was told they couldn’t provide feedback.

At least this organisation sent me a ‘thanks but no thanks’ email. The majority don’t seem to take the time to contact unsuccessful applicants.

Rave: Sweaty Betty zero gravity crop run leggings

Now although I’m definitely more High Street than posh boutique when it comes to buying running gear, when I spotted these Sweaty Betty leggings online it was love at first sight. Yes I am easily pleased and quite fickle. I also have a bum that needs sculpting.

Sweaty Betty

Fortunately, it’s my birthday soon, so I’ve dropped a few unsubtle hints – i.e. I’ve emailed my size and the link to the leggings – to my friend who just so happens to live a 5-minute walk from the Sweaty Betty on Marylebone High Street.

If you don’t ask, you don’t get…

Rant: Failing to complete Swimathon

Last year an elbow injury prevented me from swimming 1500m for Swimathon. This year a severe lack of self-confidence and an attack of the jitters prevented me from swimming 1500m. On the day of my Swimathon challenge, I arrived at the swimming pool, saw how busy the pool looked and how fast everyone else was swimming and completely bottled it. Not cool and definitely another failure.

Once the Easter holidays have finished, I’m determined to return to the pool to complete the 1500m distance. I won’t get a Swimathon medal but I will hopefully feel a sense of achievement.

Rave: Quirky running gifts

A totally unexpected parcel arrived address to me last week. When I opened the parcel a piece of athletics track on a key ring and a certificate of authenticity dropped out.

london-2012.jpg

Apologies for the slightly blurry photo! I’m now the proud owner of a piece of the London 2012 athletics track. In 2013 I got to run on the track, now I get to keep a piece of the track. As a running geek and athletics fan this makes me really happy.

I’ve no idea who bought me this rather quirky gift but thanks, I love it!

Once again, if you’ve reached the end of my latest random selection of rants, raves, moans and groans then I’m impressed.

Apologies for the bits and pieces blog, my next post will be slightly more interesting.

What is the most unusual running-related gift you’ve ever received? I think the London 2012 track keyring is pretty quirky.

Should I follow the C25K training plan when I start running again, or should I start with short distances and build from there? I suspect that I’ll find having zero fitness really frustrating, but I’m not sure I want to get stuck in a run-walk-run routine again.

13 thoughts on “Rants and raves #12

1. Runningonfullblog says:

While you’re may no longer feel like you’re a runner, you are because you’re missing it so much. I wish you well getting back to it.
    And on getting back into running, with our beginners, we don’t do walk/run. Instead, first week a mile with 8 mins homework x 2 and it builds up from there with an additional 1/2 mile each week and longer homework runs. By week 8 or 9, they ALL run 5 miles and it’s brilliant. And we make them talk!!! If they’re unable to talk, then they’re going too fast. This is how running finally stuck with me, plus another couple of years with a regular running buddy! Happy trails!

Thanks! I’m definitely missing running far more than I ever thought I would. Watching the London Marathon has made me determined to get back out there at some stage. I’ve genuinely got no idea what you mean by ‘homework’ runs, I’ll do some googling! I always set out far too fast and would definitely fail the talking test. I’m going to aim to run my favourite 2 mile circular route. It’s nice and flat with a downhill finish, perfect. If I have to walk then I’ll walk for 30 seconds and won’t feel too disappointed or tell myself I failed.

• Runningonfullblog says:

The homework runs are runs they are to do during the week, like homework at school. Talking test is the way to go to build distance – it’s the best way to do it in a way that prevents injury. The main thing is just to build distance is a comfortable and safe way ie. injury prevention, rather than seeing every run as a race. Sorry, just did marathon no 2 – might be rambling a little…..

2. wanderwolf says:

You are never too old for Easter eggs!!!!
    Okay, now that that’s out of the way, cool piece of floor.
    Also, I can’t recommend anything without knowing how long you’ve been out of running. Four weeks or more, maybe start off with couch to 5k. If less, go for 2-3 miles and see how you feel. Alternate days of running and rest…see what happens?

I didn’t think I was too old for Easter eggs but never mind. Hopefully mum bought me some in the reduced section, I’ll find out later. I haven’t run since February 6th so know that my running fitness is now pretty non-existent. I’m going to attempt a really slow run around my favourite flat two mile running loop. If I struggle with 2 miles then I’ll have a look at the Couch to 5k. Hopefully I wouldn’t need to start on week one.

3. Helen says:

Never too old for Easter eggs!

I related to this post quite a bit, thankfully I haven’t been injured, but my head has been playing many silly games recently – blogged about it in Running Struggle.

I also feared getting caught in run walk run, there’s NOTHING wrong with that, but I was scared about getting stuck into it again on small distances. So I’ve gone back to the beginning and I’m doing short distances to get the love back. I did two single mile runs last week, then on Saturday I did a social, chatty parkrun with a friend (34.40, we walked a little bit as she’d done an epic cycle the day before), I did a social 4k on Monday and yesterday I went out and did a single k but did get it under 6 minutes for the first time in a few months. I feel less broken and I’m enjoying it more. I’m hoping in a few weeks time, I’ll be going a couple of two mile runs and a slightly longer 3-4 mile run.

Love the track!

H x

Thanks Helen. I’m hoping that my mother was waiting to buy my Easter eggs once they were reduced. I’ll find out later on today. I’m really sorry you’ve been struggling recently. Although like you say there is nothing wrong with run walk run, I’m scared I will get into the habit of having to take walking breaks each time I run. I’m going to start with short distances; 2 miles would be amazing but I’d be happy with a mile and will see what happens. Running 500m to catch a train last night left me feeling out of breath so my fitness levels are zilch! I love the track and really hope that it is authentic as a piece of my local running track wouldn’t quite be the same x

You’re still a runner! Even when injured or taking a break, if you want to be a runner you are still a runner. End of.
    That photo of your kit, trainers and Garmin literally made me do a double-take because it looks like mine! I have that Garmin and exact trainers hehe.
    I got a coaster made from the slate at Cheddar Gorge when I ran the marathon there with the medal. Was random but nice.
    Also, NEVER too old for Easter eggs.

Thanks Anna. I seem to be permanently injured at the moment which as you know from your own experience is really, really frustrating! Your comment about my kit photo making you do a double-take actually made me lol in the middle of a quiet train carriage. People were giving me slightly strange looks. I’d quite like a coaster as a race memento, far more useful than a medal. I’m hoping that my family were waiting for the Easter egg reductions, I’ll find out later today *fingers crossed*

5. Maria @runningcupcake says:

Er, you are never too old for Easter eggs! And even if you are taking a break, you are still a runner if you want to be.
    That piece of track is so cool! It’s not running related but when I went to the Grand Prix I had a vodafone contract so I got a piece of one of the Maclaren cars on a little lanyard thing- quite cool really.
    I think with the starting back again you need to see how you get on- when I started running again after a break, I started with 1 min walk, 1 min run, but the fitness came back much quicker and instead of needing to repeat things through the week, I found that each time I went out I could go a bit further. I was also more experienced so I knew I could run slowly for longer, whereas when I started from scratch I think I was running too fast for some of the run sections. So, try it and see how you get on.

Thanks Maria. I wish that I’d treated myself to some Easter eggs now. I’m hoping that my mother was waiting for the Easter eggs to be reduced and will present me with an egg later today. I love the track and hope it’s authentic. The piece of race car on a lanyard sounds pretty awesome, one day it could be a collector’s piece! I think I’m going to start with the aim of running 1-2 miles around my favourite running loop as it’s flat and there are loads of posh houses with beautiful front gardens to distract me. I always set out far too quickly and will have to make sure that I don’t attempt to run at my old ‘easy’ running pace.